Sunday, January 2, 2011

Trend to try now: Burgundy lipstick

Burgundy lip colors have been spotted all over the runways and on stylish celebrities such as Lauren Conrad, Charleze Theron and Mischa Barton. Burgundy is a great alternative to a traditional red lip and will give you a unique, French-fashionista-meets-grunge-rocker look. When paired with neutral eyes and cheeks, a burgundy lip looks effortlessly chic and sophisticated.
When rocking a burgundy lip:
  • Keep the rest of you makeup minimal and let your lips be the star of the show! If you wear a bold lip with bright blush and eyeshadow, you may end up looking clownish. 
  • Apply your lipstick before you put on eye makeup and blush. That way you'll be able to build your makeup look around the lipstick and you won't accidentally overdo it with blush and eyeshadow.
For Christmas I was lucky enough to receive Ben Nye lipstick in "Passion Flower," a deep reddish brown hue with a gold sheen. I typically wear lighter lip colors but I find this shade very flattering.
Here are some other great burgundy hues:
1. Nars lipstick in "Viridiana" - $24
2. L'Oreal Color Riche Lipstick in "Pure Burgundy" - $5
3. Shiseido perfect rouge tender sheer lipstick in "RS628 Natural Wine" - $25

What do you think of these burgundy shades? Do you ever wear daring lip colors like these?

10 comments:

  1. I love the look of burgundy lips! I don't tend to wear bright reds often, but burgundy is a more wearable alternative for me, very chic! NARS Viridiana is a beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving dark lips at the moment too, I'm trying to wear them to death before spring/summer arrives and I have return to neutrals! The gold sheen in the Ben Nye is beautiful. The shade I'm rocking at the moment is more like the Shiseido.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @10thingsaboutagirl That is actually what I've been doing with dark polish! @Straight Up Glam, I also find burgundy to be more wearable than red.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently bought a burgandy lipstick from Bare Escentuals. I love the color, and now I have to try out the one from NARS, it looks beautiful. Great post!

    makeupismymedicine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, I love this! Great post! The "Passion Flower" looks nice!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think dark lips look so pretty on other people, but I don't usually do it myself. Maybe it should be a resolution. lol :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love this! It's such a nice change from a red lip when leaving the rest of your make-up minimal! Can't wait to try this one out!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this look but im not sure to try it or not because i have thin lips, do you think it would look right?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...