Saturday, September 18, 2010

My mini-meltdown in Sephora

I have to tell you all about the mini-crisis I had in Sephora yesterday.

When I asked the saleslady if they had any refill pads for the Shu Uemura eyelash curler, she dropped a bombshell on me. Not only did they not have any refill pads, but Shu Uemura is no longer being sold in the U.S.

Cue mini-crisis. 

WHAT? How could this be? What did I do to deserve this? This is only the maker of one of my all-time favorite beauty tools ever.

If you have never heard of Shu Uemura, it's a cosmetics company that was first launched in Japan but has gained international popularity. The company is arguably most well known (at least here in the U.S.) for its amazing line of eyelash curlers. In 2004, Shu Uemura was bought out by L'oreal, which also owns Lancome, Matrix, Kiehl's, and a ton of other fragrance, makeup, and skin care brands. I first discovered Shu Uemura years ago when I worked as a saleslady at a Lancome outlet store in New Jersey. I have been hooked on this eyelash curler ever since. 

Upon further research, I discovered there has been talk within the beauty community about L'oreal pulling the plug on Shu in the U.S. since at least this March. Yesterday, the Sephora here in NYC's Herald Square had just three Shu eyelash curlers left. I obviously picked one up. 

There is a silver lining to this story. Us die hard Shu Uemura fans here in the U.S. will not have to go without our favorite eyelash curler. Fortunately, they will still be available online. 

Do you use the Shu Uemura eyelash curler? 

2 comments:

  1. nope i haven't used it as of yet, but my friend who worked at urbsn decau & mac told me its the bomb and she highly recommended it... think she said it's sold in selfridges (london), so its worth having a look if they deliver international?

    good luck finding it!

    http://frootibeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely worth checking out. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...