Saturday, September 11, 2010

Beauty test run: the Minx manicure

If you're not familiar with the Minx manicure, it's a technique where a film-like applique with an adhesive back is applied to the nail. Tons of celebrities have rocked Minx nail coverings, including Katy Perry, Beyonce, Jordan Sparks, and Scarlett Johansson. Some salons here in New York City started offering the Minx manicure recently, and when I saw that a local salon was offering it I had to give it a test run. There are tons of different designs and colors to choose from, including shiny metallics, but I picked this pink fishnet pattern.
So, let me give you a breakdown of what I liked and didn't like about the Minx manicure. 

Pros: Unlike polish, there is absolutely no drying time with Minx. The manicurist applies it to the nail, files away the excess and it sets very quickly under a heat lamp. The designs and colors are super eye-catching and I got a lot of compliments on my manicure. When you're ready to remove it, you can just peel it off and it does not damage your nails. 

Cons: The manicurist told me it should last up to two weeks but it only really lasted a few days before the film started peeling up. Also, it cost about $45 - much more expensive than a typical manicure and took about 30 to 40 minutes to apply. 

One tip: If you are going to get the Minx manicure, your nails should be a little longer than mine are in the pictures above. Because my nails were so short, the manicurist had some difficulty filing away the excess film and this may have been the reason why my Minx manicure did not last very long. 

My final assessment? It was fun to try but I probably won't get it again. 

Have you tried the Minx manicure? 

1 comment:

  1. Your manicurist shouldn't have told you that they last up to two weeks. That is not what we were taught in advanced training. They should last as long as 4 days and on some people they can last up to eight days.

    Also Minx is not designed to replace your manicure, it's a luxe service, kinda like paying a makeup artist to do your makeup.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...